Sourdough English Muffins

 After being given some sourdough starter, I knew one of the first things I wanted to try to make was English Muffins.  We love using English Muffins in our breakfast sandwiches and it's even better when I can make the muffins myself!

Sourdough English Muffins

1 cup sourdough starter
2 tsp quick rise yeast
1/2 cup warm milk (100 degrees)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 egg (room temperature)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
Cornmeal for dusting

Bloom the yeast with the milk and sugar; rest for 20 minutes.  Combine with the remaining ingredients and let dough rest for 20 minutes.

Roll dough out until it is 1/2 inch thick.  Cut with a 3" circle cutter.

Place on a dusted cornmeal wooden cutting board.  Cover with plastic and let rise for 30-45 minutes in a warmed (not hot) oven. 

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Spray with cooking oil; cook each muffin for 5 minutes per side.

Tips and Tricks

#1:  Make sure your milk isn't any warmer than 100 degrees or it may cook the yeast and your muffins will not rise.

#2:  Our house is usually kept on the chilly side so I need to proof my breads in a warmed oven.  I like using the wooden cutting board so that the bowl is not placed immediately on the grates.  If your house is kept warmer, you may proof on the counter top or another warmed space.

Check back tomorrow for the rest of the recipe for my go-to breakfast sandwiches!





Comments

Popular Posts