Carrot Lentil Patties with Jalapeno Buttermilk Dressing

 During the COVID quarantine, I found I was having trouble posting new recipes--not because I wasn't cooking during Safer at Home--but because I didn't want to encourage people needing to go to the grocery store unnecessarily.  I myself wasn't even going to the grocery store very often so a lot of what I was preparing was with what I had on hand at home.

This recipe was perfect--I didn't have to run out and buy much of anything for the patties themselves since everything could be found in my pantry.  The dressing has fresh ingredients but bottled dressing could be substituted as well.

Carrot Lentil Patties with Jalapeno Buttermilk Dressing

For the patties:
2 cans carrots, drained
1 cup dry lentils
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup fresh chives--dried works too!
1 egg
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs 

For the dressing:
1 cup buttermilk
8 oz sour cream
1 packet dry ranch seasoning mix
2 jalapenos
1 cup cilantro

To make the dressing:  Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend well.  Allow to chill in the refrigerator.  

To make the patties:  Cook lentils according to the directions; set aside.  Mash the carrots and lentils in a mixing bowl.  Add remaining ingredients.  Form into patties (makes approximately 10-12).  Place on a nonstick baking sheet.  Preheat oven to 450.  Bake for 20 minutes or until top is crispy.

Tips and Tricks

#1:  I made the lentils in my Instant Pot.  I used 1 cup of lentils and added 1 1/2 cups of water.  I steamed for 9 minutes and then did a quick release.

#2:  The dressing makes quite a bit.  If you don't want leftovers, I would half the recipe.  I personally love the dressing on everything--it's especially tasty with veggies, salads or tacos.

Comments

Popular Posts